Sunday, October 17, 2010

What's Up With The Blog?

Crisis in Alcovia is a blog that comes from a long time love of Russian military hardware that has yet to really be expressed in my gaming hobby. Though I have played many games that have touched on this fandom of Eastern Block gear, I seem to have always avoided, intentional or otherwise, actually playing with it.

This blog will chronicle the outbreak and the drama of civil outbreak in Alcovia in the 21st century. My hope is to play games using a number of scales and systems and on a number of different levels - platoon, company, squad, etc. Much of it will be played in 20mm scale as I have recently been bitten by the bug for this scale and find that it supports this time period better than most other gaming scales. 

What is Alcovia?
Alcovia has its roots in other areas of my hobby gaming where I created a fictional country in which to play games using a decidedly Eastern European feel to them. I played this country in Victorian Science Fiction and Inter-War games and it seemed only fitting that this country, which had been developing its own history and feel, continue on into the late 20th and early 21st century.

Why Alcovia?
I have been asked, by a few folks, why I do not just play real world 20th/21st century conflicts. The answer is simple. I simply do not want to get mixed up in the real-world history of events too close to current. I don't fault those that do, I just don't want to dive into that particular pool.

As an added benefit, playing in an invented nation allows me to create my own conflict and to have fun with the setting in ways that history might not allow. I don't have to worry about stepping on toes and doing something "wrong".

So, we shall see where this takes me.

Thanks for reading,

-Eli

3 comments:

J Womack, Esq. said...

Very cool.

Master Chef said...

Looks good Eli!

Tales from Shed HQ said...

Just discovered this site. Fantastic just what I need for inspiration for a similar project I have planned. Great work!