Tuesday, April 12, 2011

война миниатюры игры

After a fruitless weekend trying to work out how I could make a regular army squad out of the packs currently available from Under Fire Miniatures - and I'm talking combat poses here, not just milling around eating the Russian version of Chicken Supreme rats straight out of the tin or texting the girlfriend on the mobile - I decided to call it quits and bring my handful of remaining (30 years old?) Platoon 20 Modern Russian Motor Rifles up to full platoon strength.

Placed my order with Platoon 20 on the webstore late Sunday night, got an email from Tony on Monday to say they'd been despatched and today, Tuesday, I have them on my kitchen table.

These Platoon 20 miniatures are excellent in their own way. I may have a soft spot for them, but they arrived very well moulded, crisply detailed, no flash, practically nothing in the way of mould seams and are by far superior to the originals that I bought a lifetime ago now. 

The KLMK hooded camouflage oversuit worn by the figures is still fine for modern operations. The M60 (M40) helmet is a little anarchronistic but I may be able to make an impression of the new 6B7 with some Green Stuff if I deem it worth the effort. The M60 proxies for the M68 but this being Alcovia the older pattern M60 helmet is certainly not out of place. There's probably warehouses full of them in Byzerk left over from Cold War Soviet occupation forces.

I also included several packs of Modern Soviet Paras with my order. One pack is destined to have heads swopped with the Motor Rifles, but the rest will become hardened Alcovian milita.

Let me recommend M-SM12 Paratooper Support Weapons (RPK, RPG16) and Command - it's worth buying on it's own. Either as an 'ambush' pack OR simply because the Para BMD crewman/NCO walking with AKSU74 (photo on the left, painted by Mark Griffin) makes a beautifully arrogant militia leader and his buddy firing his AKSU74, is a perfect bodyguard figure.

I already own a few Platoon 20 East German Paras in berets. These will now become nasty Alcovian militia types. The plan is to add a pack of P-DDR6 East German Para Support Weapons with my next order to Tony to beef up their firepower.

So there we have it. Seriously nice figures. A very welcome blast from the past plus some useful additions to my Alcovian forces.

Cheers
Mark

4 comments:

Eli Arndt said...

Great suggestions here.

Eli Arndt said...

I wouldn't worry about those helmets. I mean really I cannot tell much of a difference from that pic to the RH ones I'm uasing for regular Alcovian Army.

Mark said...

Just thinking - the Platoon 20 VDV would make great Alcovian Marines.

Cheers
Mark

Eli Arndt said...

They would. Paint them with a pin-striped undershirt and a black beret.